Athletes after Quarantine
- The lack of motivation is obvious to the athletes due to the many months of absence, the goal is to find their desire for the sport again.
- Focus on how the children/athletes experienced the period of absence. Everyone is different and the situation affects each child differently
- Help redevelop relationships between children
- Enhance communication and interaction. The reconnection of children will be the basis to find their motivation as socialization is an important factor of involvement in sports
- Take time to inform the children about what will follow regarding the training program
- Give athletes time to adjust to the environment, avoiding talking too much about training issues
- It is important to welcome children without comments about their level of fitness
- Avoid referring to their physical condition when talking about weight gain due to quarantine
- Identify goals that refer to gradual reconnection and reset, not racing performance
- It is important for children not to rush back
- Set long-term goals, not immediate ones
- The children’s return time will be different for everyone
- Focus on how important it is that we managed to get back into the sport and not how long we stayed out.
- Your positive attitude will help children adjust and regain lost motivation
Remember that some children / athletes have experienced a loss in the midst of a pandemic and it is important that they receive appropriate support from you.
Yiannis Zarotis MSc-PhD